The part of the reading that I found most interesting was Chapter 6. Chapter 6 discusses supporting student problem solving. We do lots of problem solving activities in my class so I found this chapter to be the most beneficial. I enjoyed reading about the potential benefits of PBL (Problem Based Learning). “With effective PBL, students can become more engaged in their learning and empowered to become more autonomous in classroom work. Students can gain a deeper understanding of concepts, acquire skills necessary in the real world, and transfer skills to become independent and self-directed learners and thinkers outside of school.” (pp. 161) The most important part of the above statement is “with effective PBL.” As an instructor of a project based class, I have learned that the success of most students in a particular project depends on my ability to facilitate learning in the group environment.
Egbert, Joy. (2009). Supporting learning with technology: Essentials of Classroom Practice. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A lot of planning goes into sorting the groups, assigning roles for group members, having clear goals for groups, and keeping groups on track. Until students are older, it does seem like a lot of the success rests on a teacher's shoulders. I appreciate your owning up to our responsibility as educators.
ReplyDelete