Sunday, November 1, 2009

Blog Entry 10

The section that I found the most interesting was the section on optimizing technology. This section tells of a history teacher in Australia that was tired of “the role of confiscation” (pp. 119) when it came to students bringing in technology. He instead decided to integrate mp3 players into his classroom. “During the project, he checked in with students to make sure the technologies were not continuing to pose a distraction.” (pp. 119) The teacher was surprised to learn that students responded positively to the experience and thought they learned better this way.

I really enjoyed reading this section of our book. I like the idea of using technology that is usually frowned on by teachers and administrators as a teaching tool. The only problem I can see with this idea is that some students will always try to abuse the privilege of having the “banned” devices in school. Another problem is that all students don’t have access to mp3 players or mobile phones. I don’t think I will be trying this idea anytime soon but, it sounds like it was very successful in Australia.

Boss, S., & Krauss, J. (2007). Reinventing project-based learning. Washington, D.C.: International Society for Technology in Education

1 comment:

  1. The overall idea of developing an educational angle with technology that appeals to students is great. I read of learning tools that simulate video games. I personally dislike video games but am open to seeing how the format can be used in educational ways. I, too, dislike the "role of confiscator"; but just think,in a previous blog you say that you plan to use blogs --- aren't they promoting social uses of technology? Seems like you're already working to integrate learning with student-friendly tools.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.